Friday, October 30, 2009

Never Ass-U-Me (Assume)

A few years ago I was doing a home party show and was doing my Hostess Coaching with a great gal!

I knew she had done a few other different parties with other companies, but even knowing this I made it a point to set a coffee date so that we could sit down and go over the hostess package!

I met her at her home, brought the package and proceeded to go over the details.

We went over some key things that I do for every hostess:
  • Brainstorm for guest names
  • Discuss that if someone cannot make the show, they can definitely place an order
  • I always tell my hostess's that they know their guests better than I do, and how I do not like to "push sales on anybody", so with this in mind if she has a guest who is on a 'fixed budget' this would be the ideal person that she could talk to...to host her own party!
  • We also discuss how the hostess will contact people, and a 'warm way to invite them'
My hostess was ECTASTIC and over the edge with happiness!

She gushed on how "no other consultant had set out clearly" about having a party!

UH???  I was stunned. 

I had "ASSUMED" (ya know the old saying...it makes an ASS-Out-of-U-and-ME) that because my friend had several other parties with other companies, she would know all the fun details about being a hostess!!!

I was also pleasantly surprised by her warm "thanks" about how to even "invite her guests"...this was always something she had dreaded doing in the past...and she mentioned such things like:

  • I never knew Exactly what to say when I invited people....so I'd usually say something stupid like "oh just come...have fun...I don't expect you to buy anything" ((uh, even tho she did want them to buy a little something))
  • Sitting down and making a list was always daunting and I put it off...but now we've done it together..thanks!!
  • I never thought of keeping the food simple...I had no idea about giving people too many choices..I always thought I had to put together a huge COSTLY spread..thanks for simplifying it!
  • I'm looking forward to this party, you have made it fun!
It just goes to show ya all....never assume that people who have had tonnes of other parties know even just the basics of having a Successful party...sure you mite get the seats filled...but filled with people who have no INTENTIONS of spending anything!!!

Think about it & I'd love to hear some of your most fun Hostess's!!!

JODY :))


Jody Maley is Motivational Speaker & Trainer, mom of six,retired entrepeneur, ToastMaster, Queen of the Home Party Plan Biz!
http://www.DesignedforDivineDestinations.com
"Where its not just about the Destination, it's the Journey to Get there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment